Favorite and Best Movies of the Decade (2000-09)
1. 25th Hour (2002)
After considerable thought, I have come to the conclusion that this is my favorite film of this decade deserving of the number one spot. Spike Lee directs Edward Norton in a very powerful performance alongside Philip Seymour Hoffman, Barry Pepper, Rosario Dawson, Anna Paquin, Brian Cox and Tony Siragusa.
2. Big Fish (2003)
I just love the story telling in this film. It seems to be pure magic and what filmmaking is all about.
3. The Salton Sea (2002)
Vincent D’Onofrio is great but Peter Sarsgaard makes this neo-noir something you can feel deep in your heart.
4 Garden State (2004)
Zach Braff did a great job writing, directing and starring in this but Peter Sarsgaard owns his character.
5. Buffalo Soldiers (2001)
Joaquin Phoenix plays a likable sleaze ball, that doesn’t seem to care about what if and just does what he wants, to succeed.
6. High Tension (2003)
It took the French to make a truly frightening horror film, an ending which will be debated over for its originality.
7. Run Ronnie Run (2002)
Quote after quote of hilarious stuff. My favorite is “Okay Baby, hang on. Don’t flip your bitch switch.”
8. Shattered Glass (2003)
Peter Sarsgaard comes across as a magnificent and powerful actor in this film across from Hayden Christensen.
9. Sideways (2004)
Thomas Haden Church and Paul Giamattis chemistry is perfect in this comedy in wine country.
10. American Splendor (2003)
By taking the films characters and mixing them in with the real life counterparts makes this a fresh and fun film to watch.
11. Highwaymen (2004)
This film just does it for me being the epitome of simplicity at its best. A psychopathic killer hunts his prey with his car.
12. The Mexican (2001)
Brad Pitt is great in this very solid romantic comedy.
13. The Devil’s Rejects (2005)
Rob Zombie matured a lot when borrowing elements from Sam Peckinpah to create a gritty film to capture that raw seventies vibe.
14. Wolf Creek (2005)
The suspense is fueled by an intensity in the scenes creating a thrilling horror experience that leaves its impressions felt.
My Opinion of the Best Movies of the Decade
1. The Pianist (2002)
Roman Polanski directed Adrian Brody in a masterpiece of the desire for the human soul to survive.
2. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
As time goes by it will only become greater with age. My generations The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966)
3. Watchmen (2009)
This film shoves our own conceitedness into our faces with no remorse by letting us know we are insignificant.
4. Gladiator (2000)
Ridley Scott revived the historical epic with the success off of this film.
5. The Departed (2006)
Great storytelling and a very powerful performance by Leonardo DiCaprio.
6. Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004)
Quentin Tarantino and his brilliant writing and directing surpasses the action packed Vol. 1.
7. Children of Men (2006)
Suspense in a future that’s very foreign and realistic. The 6 min.18 sec. shot at end of film is superb, no visible cut.
8. The Aviator (2004)
A wonderful performance by Leonardo DiCaprio but truly over shadowed by Cate Blanchett as Katharine Hepburn.
9. Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
A great original script with a very talented cast makes this a comedy that delivers.
10. Funny People (2009)
40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up were great hilarious films but were only comedies compared to this one.
Favorite Performances of the Decade
1. Vincent D’Onofrio as Pooh-Bear in The Salton Sea (2002) Somehow this is my favorite performance.
2. Heath Ledger as The Joker in The Dark Knight (2008) No greater loss have we endured.
3. Juaquin Phoenix as Commodus in Gladiator (2000) Never hated an actor so much for being so good.
4. Leonardo DiCaprio as Billy Costigan in The Departed (2006) The psychiatry scene is unbelievable.
5. Kurt Russell as Stunt Man Mike in Death Proof (2007) A tribute role to a seasoned actor.
6. Brad Pitt as Mickey O’Neil in Snatch (2000) “D’ya like dags?… Oh, dogs. Sure, I like dags.”
7. Paul Giamatti as Miles in Sideways (2004) “I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot!”
8. Leonardo DiCaprio as Howard Hughes in The Aviator (2004) I do consider him the best.
9. Peter Sarsgaard as Mark in Garden State (2004) “Don’t tease me about my hobbies. I don’t tease you about being an asshole”…. “Hey, if you ever need a Kato, you know where to find me.”
10. Tim Allen as Critical Jim in Who Is Cletus Tout? (2001) Just love this character.
11. Willem Dafoe as Paul Smecker in The Boondock Saints (1999) No one saw this until it was on DVD (2002) It really could be number 1.
My Opinion of the Most Overrated Movie of the Decade
Blow (2001) I’ve watched this at least 3 maybe 4 or more times and I just don’t get what it is that makes people love this film.
My Opinion of the Most Underrated Movie of the Decade
16 Blocks (2006) Mos Def, I thought gave a very strong performance which made it a better film.